Virtual Parent Preview- Comprehensive Sexual Health Education for 7th Grade Students
California state law, the California Healthy Youth Act, requires that comprehensive sexual health education and HIV prevention education be provided to students at least once in middle school or junior high school and once in high school, starting in seventh grade.
Instruction must encourage students to communicate with parents, guardians, or other trusted adults about human sexuality. Instruction must be medically accurate, age‐appropriate, and inclusive of all students. It must include the following:
- Information about HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including transmission, FDA approved methods to prevent HIV and STIs, and treatment.
- Information that abstinence is the only certain way to prevent unintended pregnancy and HIV and other STIs, and information about the value of delaying sexual activity.
- Discussion about social views of HIV and AIDS.
- Information about accessing resources for sexual and reproductive health care.
- Information about pregnancy, including FDA, approved prevention methods, pregnancy outcomes, prenatal care, and the newborn safe surrender law.
- Information about sexual orientation and gender, including the harm of negative gender stereotypes.
- Information about healthy relationships and avoiding unhealthy behaviors and situations.
East Whittier City School District will deliver California mandated comprehensive sexual health education in a distance learning format using the Advocacy for Youth 3R’s (Rights, Respect, Responsibility) Google Classroom curriculum. The instruction will be delivered to 7th-grade students in their Science class between April 6-May 28, 2021.
Instructional materials are available for review by parents/guardians. The curriculum can be inspected below as well as: 1) online at https://3rs.org/3rs-curriculum/download-3rs/ by selecting the link titled “CA Lesson Plans”; 2) by appointment at your child’s middle school office, or 3) by reviewing the slide presentation from our District Virtual Parent Preview Night that was held on March 18, 2021 @ 5:00pm-6:00pm.
State law allows you to remove your child from this instruction. If you do not want your student to participate in comprehensive sexual health/HIV prevention education, please complete the Opt-Out Google Form accessible here by Thursday, April 1, 2021. You will need to know your child’s science teacher’s name to complete your request to opt-out.
Due to this distance learning format, it is important for families to ensure that:
- Students have headphones and/or a private space away from younger children to participate in these lessons.
- Students do not record or distribute any of the instructional material.
The Google Classroom has 11 lessons which include the PowerPoint slides from the curriculum which can be inspected online at https://3rs.org/3rs-curriculum/download-3rs/ by selecting the link titled “CA Lesson Plans” and selecting the folder titled "Middle School - Lessons and PPTs".
There are also the following videos embedded in each lesson which can be accessed on Amaze.org, unless otherwise stated below, by searching for the title.