Intradistrict Permits & Open Enrollment for District Residents

We are experiencing a delay in processing permit applications that were submitted during the open enrollment window.  We anticipate to begin to notify families of the status of their permit request via email, the week of April 13th, 2020.
For district residents that would like to be released to attend school in another district, you can obtain the required form from and clicking on IntraDistrict Permits. The form is located on the right-hand side of the website. You will need to download the form, complete it, and electronically sign it. You will then email the completed and digitally signed form to for processing. Once approved the form will be sent to the email address on the form.
Out-of-district residents that would like to submit their permit application can do so by emailing your completed application to
For new intra-district permit applications, see the instructions below.
For current K-4th grade students and 6th & 7th-grade students currently on permit you need to complete the Notification of Return located below. Parents of 5th-grade students on permit need to complete a new application for middle school.

Intradistrict Permits - District Residents


The East Whittier City School District has adopted a policy of open enrollment for students living within the District boundaries that would like to request a different school than their residence school. If you live within the district boundaries and would like to request a different school for 2020-2021 you may do so during the open enrollment period. The open enrollment period for the 20-21 school has ended.

For district families that would still like to submit an intra-district permit application for consideration for the 20-21 school year, you can click on the link below and complete the form. This is for District Residents only. 

20-21 Intra-District Permit Application

Parents will be notified about permit approval/denial via email with instructions on how to proceed. 

New Dual language immersion postcard.
Click on the image for information on the application process for Dual Language Immersion for the 2020-2021 school year.
Information for 5th Grade Students Currently on Permit:
Current 5th-grade students on an intra-district permit now must complete a NEW permit application to apply to a different middle school than their school of residence. If you would still like to submit an intra-district permit application for the 20-21 school year, electronic versions of the form will be available on this website after April 13, 2020.

Notification of Return (NOR)

This form is for students currently on permit. 5th graders no longer complete the NOR to select a middle school. A new permit is required (see above).


The notification of return is completed online and must be submitted by April 16, 2020 for (within district permits) and May 16, 2020 for (out of district permits).


2020-2021 Notification of Return - Click Here


*Failure to submit the NOR by the deadline date may result in losing your student’s spot for the following school year.





Q: Who should participate in the Open Enrollment program?


A: Only those families who live in the East Whittier City School District attendance area, and wish to have their child enroll in a district school other than his/her school of residence, should participate in Open Enrollment.


Q: How do I determine my son's/daughter's school of residence?


A: Students can determine their school of residence by going to under the heading of Resources > Families and clicking on Attendance Maps. 


Q: How do I participate in the open enrollment option for my son/daughter?


A: Complete a permit application from the East Whittier City School District permit office during the open enrollment period. The permit office is located at 14535 E. Whittier Blvd. Whittier. Open enrollment closed on February 21, 2020.


Permit Office Hours:

During open enrollment (February 11-21, 2020) permit office hours are Monday through Friday, from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


As of March 16, 2020, the District office is temporarily closed to the public and staff is working remotely. Please submit permit related documents via email to


Q: Am I guaranteed the school I request during open enrollment?


A: No. Some of our schools are projected to be at or above enrollment capacity*. If requests for a school during the open enrollment period exceed the school's capacity, permits for the schools listed will be accepted based on a random lottery. You will be notified in May if your child's permit has been accepted as part of the lottery process. Otherwise, your permit will be processed as an intradistrict permit and accepted based on the date it was submitted and the priorities for acceptance as indicated in Board Policy. 


Q: If I want my son/daughter to attend the same school as a sibling, and it is not the school of residence, do I submit an Open Enrollment application? 


A: Yes. You need to complete an intradistrict permit application during the open enrollment window. Although siblings of students already on a permit are given priority, please note that a spot is not automatic, nor guaranteed.


Q: We reside outside of the district boundaries but want our child to attend an EWCSD school, how do I do that?


A: You will need to apply for an interdistrict permit. This requires you to get released from your child's district/school of residence.  Once approved and signed by your district/school of residence you will need to submit that permit paperwork to EWCSD for consideration. Interdistrict permits are processed after open enrollment ends and are subject to available space.


Q: Is transportation provided to the new school?


A: No. Transportation is the responsibility of the parents/guardians.


Q: Do open enrollment permits need to be renewed each year?


A: Only for 5th-grade students that want to attend a middle school that is not their school of residence. All other grades need to submit a Notification of Return form online each year. This year's deadline dates are April 16th for intradistrict permits and May 16th for interdistrict permits.


Q: How do I register for transitional kindergarten?


A: Please visit for information about transitional kindergarten.


Q: How do I apply for dual language immersion?


A: Please visit for information about Dual Language Immersion.


Q: If I want my child to attend a different high school than their school of residence, what do I do?


A: Open Enrollment for WUHSD for the 2020-2021 school year starts January 27, 2020 at 8 a.m. and ends on February 7, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. This process is only for students who live in the Whittier Union High School District attendance area and want to attend a school within the district other than their school of residence. For questions regarding WUHSD please visit the WUHSD website link. To apply,  (CLICK HERE).


Need to be released from EWCSD to attend a school in an other district?
Please complete the application below and email it to
Do you belong to another school district and want to have your children in EWCSD?
Please contact your district of residence for a permit application to attend EWCSD. These applications will be accepted beginning on February 11, 2020. Please email completed applications obtained from your district of residence to