Interdistrict Permits - Non-district Residents

  • For district residents that would like to be released to attend school in another district, you can obtain the required form on the right-hand side of the website. You will need to download the form, complete it, and electronically sign it. You will then email the completed and digitally signed form to for processing. Once approved the form will be sent to the email address on the form. 


  • Out-of-district residents that would like to submit their permit application can do so by emailing your completed application to    


  • For current K-4th grade and 6th & 7th grade students currently on permit you need to complete the Notification of Return located below. Parents of 5th-grade students on permit need to complete a new application for middle school.

Interdistrict Permits - Procedures & Timelines

This information is for students living outside of EWCSD boundaries that would like to attend a school within EWCSD.


If you are seeking to enroll in a school in the East Whittier City School District and you live within another school district’s boundaries, you must have an approved interdistrict permit release from your district of residence to submit to EWCSD.  You will need to submit the signed release to the EWCSD Permits office via email to We begin accepting interdistrict permit applications on February 11, 2020.  




Information for 5th Grade Students Currently on Permit:
Current 5th-grade students on an inter-district permit must complete a NEW permit application with your district of residence to continue on to enrollment in an EWCSD middle school. The Notification of Return (NOR) no longer applies to 5th-grade students. 
We will begin accepting inter-district permits on February 11, 2020.  
Click here for a copy of Board Policy 5117 - Interdistrict Attendance

Conditions for Approval of Interdistrict Agreements

  1. Parent(s)/guardian(s) have obtained a written release from their district of residence when initially requesting a permit.
  2. Transfer agreements are with the East Whittier City School District and not with a specific school.
  3. Class enrollment in the district school of request will permit additional students.
  4. Parent(s)/guardian(s) assume full responsibility for providing transportation to and from school.


The Superintendent or designee may approve an interdistrict attendance permit for a student for any of the following reasons when stipulated in the agreement:


  1. Continuing enrollment
  2. Complete final year at school
  3. Sibling
  4. District Employee
  5. Child care
  6. Parent Employee
  7. Specialized program

Priority for interdistrict attendance shall be given to a student who has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed enrollment to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900(r), committed by a student of the district of residence. 


The Superintendent or designee may deny initial requests for interdistrict attendance permits due to:

  • limited district resources, 
  • overcrowding of school facilities at the relevant grade level, 
  • other considerations that are not arbitrary

Once a student is admitted, the District shall not deny continued attendance because of overcrowded facilities at the relevant grade level.

Interdistrict Permits may be revoked if:

  1. Continuance would lead to program or enrollment overload.
  2. Student is excessively tardy or absent from school, or student is brought to school excessively early or left excessively late.
  3. Student fails to uphold appropriate behavior standards.
  4. Student fails to make appropriate academic efforts.
  5. False or misleading information was provided.
  6. Reason for the original issuance of the permit by the district of residence is no longer valid.
  7. Other conditions that occur that would render continuance inadvisable.


The District may also deny an interdistrict permit request for a student whose permit has been revoked by any East Whittier City School District school in the current or previous school year.


A child of an active military duty parent/guardian shall not be prohibited from transferring out of the District to a school district of choice, if the other school district approves the application for transfer. (Education Code 48301)

Applicable timelines for processing a request:

For an interdistrict transfer request received by the District 15 or fewer calendar days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the transfer is sought, the District will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision within 30 calendar days from the date the request was received.

For an interdistrict transfer request received by the District more than 15 days before the commencement of instruction in the school year for which the interdistrict transfer is sought, the District will notify the parent/guardian of its final decision as soon as possible, but no later than 14 calendar days after the commencement of instruction in the school year for which transfer is sought.

If a student's interdistrict transfer request is denied, parents can appeal the initial denial in writing within 10 calendar days to the Director of Student Services. Parents can appeal the final denial decision to the County Board of Education within 30 calendar days from the date of the final denial.







Permit Office Hours:

The District office is open by appointments on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays and closed to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays. You can submit permit-related documents or schedule appointments via email to



Q: We reside outside of the district boundaries but want our child to attend an EWCSD school, how do I do that?


A: You will need to apply for an interdistrict permit. This requires you to get released from your child's district/school of residence.  Once approved and signed by your district/school of residence you will need to submit that permit paperwork to EWCSD for consideration. Interdistrict permits are processed after open enrollment ends and are subject to available space.


Q: Am I guaranteed the school I request for a permit?


A: No. Some of our schools are projected to be at or above enrollment capacity*. Your permit will be processed as an interdistrict permit and accepted based on the date it was submitted and the priorities for acceptance as indicated in Board Policy.


Q: If I want my son/daughter to attend the same school as a sibling, and it is not the school of residence, do I submit a permit application?


A: Yes. You need to complete an interdistrict permit application. Although siblings of students already on a permit are given priority, please note that a spot is not automatic, nor guaranteed.


Q: Is transportation provided to the new school?


A: No. Transportation is the responsibility of the parents/guardians.


Q: Do permits need to be renewed each year?


A: Only for 5th-grade students that want to attend a middle school that is not their school of residence. All other grades need to submit a Notification of Return form online each year. This year's deadline dates are April 16th for intradistrict permits and May 16th for interdistrict permits.


Q: How do I register for transitional kindergarten?


A: Please visit for information about transitional kindergarten.


Q: How do I apply for dual language immersion?


A: Please visit for information about Dual Language Immersion.


Q: If I want my child to attend a different high school than their school of residence, what do I do?


A: Open Enrollment for WUHSD for the 2020-2021 school year starts January 27, 2020 at 8 a.m. and ends on February 7, 2020 at 3:30 p.m. This process is only for students who live in the Whittier Union High School District attendance area and want to attend a school within the district other than their school of residence. For questions regarding WUHSD please visit the WUHSD website link. To apply,  (CLICK HERE).



Need to be released from EWCSD to attend a school in an other district?
Please complete the application below and  email it to
Do you belong to another school district and want to have your children in EWCSD?
Please contact your district of residence for a permit application to attend EWCSD. These applications will be accepted beginning on February 11, 2020.  Please email your completed permit application obtained from your district of residence to